A taste of Wild!
Moremi - Khwai Community Reserve
6 Days / 5 nights
from USD 2,315 per Person
(Price dependent on exchange rates on day of booking)
Where does this safari take me?
The Okavango is a unique ecosystem, an inland delta situated in the middle of the largest stretch of continuous sand in the world – the Kalahari basin. This wetland lies like an oasis in an otherwise inhospitable landscape. Where land and delta meet, a mosaic of pans, grasslands, forests and lagoons provide an extremely rich and diverse habitat in which a multitude of animals and birds flourish. This wetland is one of the natural wonders of the world, and is a fragile ecosystem that remains one of the world’s least spoilt and most beautiful wildernesses, and is home to various unique species e.g. sitatunga antelope and red lechwe.
Moremi Game Reserve is situated in the eastern corner of the Okavango Delta. Moremi is one of the most beautiful and varied reserves found on the African continent with huge concentrations of wildlife and incredible scenery. The reserve consists of both swamped areas e.g. Xakanaxa, and dry-land areas e.g. Khwai.
Join us to see all the Magical Moremi has to offer!
A typical day on safari
- The day starts with the rising of the sun. Your wake-up call will be between 5am and 6am - a gentle “koko” (knock knock in Setswana) at the entrance of your tent. A camp assistant will be on hand to fill your wash-hand basin with steaming hot water and freshly made tea and coffee will be served around the campfire.
- A light breakfast will be served before the early morning game drive. You will enjoy tea, plunger coffee, juice, rusks, fruit, cereal, toast and jams. The best time of day to enjoy game viewing is in the early morning and late afternoon as most animals retreat to the shadows to rest during the heat of the day.
- Having spent the morning exploring the surrounding wilderness in search of Botswana’s hidden treasures, you will return to camp for lunch under the shade of a Marula tree (subject to availability). Lunch consists of salads, freshly baked bread, cold meats and pickles. Just as the animals retreat to escape the heat of mid-day, so will you. This is your time to enjoy reading, chatting, relaxing or taking a nap.
- Later in the afternoon you will head out into the wilderness once more as the animals awake from their days’ slumber and gather at the watering holes to quench their unforgiving thirst. As the sun sets on the horizon, one can only marvel at the sheer splendour of an African sunset and with refreshments in hand, toast to the wonder of nature.
- On your return to camp, you can enjoy a hot shower under the starry night sky and gather around the warmth of the campfire to relive the day’s events and excitement. Enjoy a two-course dinner served with South African wines against the magical backdrop of the African night sky. For dinner you can enjoy Botswana beef or a lamb potjie followed by banana mekoros with chocolate or malva pudding with custard.
- Retreating to the comfort of your tent after enjoying a nightcap around the campfire, you can fall asleep to the calls of the African wild. Good night.
- On moving days, the safari team will pack down the camp, then travel to the next camp site and prepare the camp at the next location. When travelling between locations, the route is most commonly through the parks and reserves and is therefore an extension of your daily game drives. A picnic lunch can be enjoyed en-route.
Maun – Transfer to Khwai, Moremi reservE
Your safari guide will be there to welcome you on arrival at Maun Airport. The exact departure time from Maun Airport will be advised closer to the time, as this depends on commercial airlines flight schedules.
We expect to leave Maun and begin our journey mid-day where we head to Moremi Game Reserve, stopping for a picnic lunch en-route, and arriving at our campsite in time for sundowners.
Spending our first two nights camping in the Xakanaxa /3rd Bridge region, we explore the surrounding wilderness on game drives during the day.
The Moremi Game Reserve forms part of the unique ecosystem called the Okavango Delta and Moremi covers up to one third of the Okavango. The total area of the Okavango covers up to 18 000 square kilometres of which the Moremi Game Reserve is 5000 square kilometres.
Day 3 - 6
Khwai Community area
Following an early breakfast we pack camp and continue our journey to Khwai, stopping for a picnic lunch en-route. The Khwai River forms a boundary between the reserve and the community area.
We spend the next three nights camping at a campsite in the community area, exploring the Khwai floodplains on game drives both during the day and at night.
You will also enjoy a 2.5 hour Mekoro Trip exploring the water ways of Khwai.
Exploring after dark with spotlights offers you an opportunity to experience some of the nocturnal animals that are rarely encountered during the day. It is important to note that night drives are not permitted within the national parks and reserves.
These activities are conducted outside the boundaries of the Moremi Game Reserve in the Khwai community area.
Following breakfast we head back to Maun enjoying a picnic lunch en-route. You will be dropped in Maun for your onwards arrangements.
- Comfortable walk-in tented accommodation in a meru style tent with built in floors and mosquito gauze at windows and entrance.
- Beds are comfortable and include all bed linen and a towel.
- En-suite bathrooms with a bucket shower and bush loo.
- Licensed and experienced professional guide for the duration of your safari.
- Game drives and local transfers in custom made open game drive vehicles with shade roof, game viewing seats and long-range fuel tanks.
- All entrance and camping fees within the National Parks & Game Reserves. Private campsites are used wherever possible
- All meals & selected drinks (wine, beer, G&T, Coke, Coke Lite, fruit juice, bottled water) no other spirits.
- Dedicated safari team including cook, camp assistant and back up driver.
- Bathroom amenities (soap, shampoo and insect repellent)
- Medical evacuation insurance.
- All activities as specified in the itinerary.
- International & domestic or charter flights and airport departure taxes
- Travel, cancellation and medical insurance (essential on all safaris)
- Optional safari extensions
- Spirits (other than Gin)
- Items of a personal nature